You guys, I made it through another week!!
That’s 14 days of no dairy, or sugar, or grains, or alcohol or any of that stuff.
I’m kind of shocked, and kind of not. It really isn’t half as hard as I thought it would be. I just make sure to stay ahead of my hunger, prepare meals and snacks – and have in-case-of-emergency items available to eat, at all times. Just in case.
The thing is, I feel so good.
Which is why I think it has been so easy to stick with this way of eating – I don’t want any of that “good feeling” to go away!
I am still noticing a clearer complexation. My energy level is through the roof – I don’t have that mid-day slump where I want to take a nap along with my toddler anymore. I know it’s TMI, but my bathroom habits have improved. My stomach is flatter and I know I have lost weight since my pants are looser (time will tell how much). I am sleeping better and having a much easier time staring my day – I don’t even need coffee anymore, but I choose to have a cup since I like it.
So yeah, I’m digging it. To say the least.
I don’t even miss all the stuff I’m not supposed to eat, and I can say that after going through two birthdays this week (my father and father-in-laws) Meaning, I watched my entire family eat bread, and drink cocktails, and have French fries and eat cake…two days in a row!!
And you know what? I stayed on track and didn’t cheat, I didn’t even savor the smell of anything – which is huge!!
That feeling of accomplishment and will power far exceeded what any of that food must have tasted like anyway. I was so proud of myself, and more importantly I was satisfied with my own meals.
While I did go out to eat a lot this week, I found some new favorites that helped get me through…
- Healthy 8 Chopped Veggie Mix – This healthy mix is from Trader Joes and is a mix of red and green cabbages, carrots, broccoli, jicama, bell peppers, radishes and celery. I’ve mostly used it as a salad but it would be great in a stir fry too.
- Sweet Potato Ribbons – These have been a great replacement for pasta. Since they resemble noodles and are twirlable with a fork it totally fits the bill as a replacement.
- Applegate The Great Organic Uncured Hot Dog – I don’t know how many Whole30 approved hot dogs are out there, but since TJ’s has these bad boys there is no need to look further.
- Tahini Sauce – I am obsessed with using this in place of salad dressing on the Healthy 8 mix!! It is super flavorful, so a little goes a long way and makes for such a tasty salad – it is very garlicy though so be warned!
- Lara Bars – while I mentioned last week that I prefer RX Bars (mostly due to texture than anything else) there are more flavors of Lara bars…including the delicious Cherry Pie, that I am loving! They are perfect for a post workout snack!
- Sun Dried Tomatoes – I made the most amazing chicken recipe this week with these suckers and since they are so flavorful I have been putting them on ALL THE THINGS! They totally liven up a basic dinner and have helped keep my food choices interesting.
- Grass Feed Beef Burgers – These are from Trader Joes, in the freezer section. They are great for a quick meal.
- La Croix – if I have had any serious craving on Whole30 it has been wine. I usually have a glass while I am cooking dinner, while chatting with the hubby. Not gonna lie, I have seriously missed it. So, these have been my replacement. While not at all the same, still special enough to curb the craving.
- Roasted Garlic Spaghetti Sauce – This approved sauce is from TJ’s too (seriously that store has been my saving grace these last few weeks). It’s really good for a jarred sauce. I put it on zoodled zucchini and it’s like eating spaghetti!! Kind of. Sort of. It’s as close as I’m gonna get so it works!
- Salsa Verde – this stuff is great on it’s own, but I dump it over a pork roast in the crockpot for Chile Verde (I made it last week and it’s on the menu again for next). So good!
- Guacamole – What’s not to love? Put this on everything, or just eat it with a spoon – I won’t judge. I’ll probably join you!
- Prosciutto & Melon – The combo of sweet and salty has been the perfect snack in this disgustingly hot weather, but who am I kidding, I’d eat it anytime. It’s that good.
42 meals down, only 48 to go!!
Right? You may want to check my math, its not my strongest subject, but somewhere around there.
Here’s hoping I keep this momentum going. I plan on eating back at home this week and have a bunch of new Whole30 approved recipes on the menu. Although, my husband is requesting I make that Creamy Sundried Tomato Chicken I mentioned earlier.
It really was amazing, even if you aren’t on Whole30.
I mean look…
Here is the recipe in case you want to try it yourself, then come back and tell me I was right (I love hearing that) about it being absolutely, out of this world amazing!
And keep your own Whole30 must-have’s and favorite recipes coming – the ones I have gotten so far are amazing! We can do this guys… halfway there!!